Skip to content
- The coronavirus pandemic dealt the final blow to the 118-year-old icon.
- 846 stores will be closed.
- JCPenney arranged to borrow $450 million to pay for operations during reorganization.
- JCPenney’s opened its first store in Kemmerer, Wyoming in 1902.
- It grew to become one of the major national retailers, an anchor of many suburban shopping malls.
- JCPenney reached its peak number of stores in 1973, with over 2,000 stores nationwide.
- Today, JCPenney has 85,000 employees.
- JCPenney is the fourth national retailer to file for bankruptcy this month.