- US stocks lost ground today, as the month closed out.
- Poor economic news and uncertain earnings reports are believed to have prompted investors to take profits on this last day of the month.
- Both the S&P 500 and the Dow posted their largest monthly percentage gains since January 1987.
- Still, the indexes remain within 20% of record highs each saw in February.
- The Dow Jones Industrial Average .DJI fell 288.14 points, or 1.17%, to 24,345.72, the S&P 500 .SPX lost 27.08 points, or 0.92%, to 2,912.43 and the Nasdaq Composite .IXIC dropped 25.16 points, or 0.28%, to 8,889.55.