- A new Dallas Morning News/University of Texas at Tyler poll showed both Trump and Biden are backed by 43% of the respondents.
- 9% of the respondents say they remain undecided.
- Trump’s overall approval rating is 45%.
- Biden leads Trump 43% to 28% with independent voters.
- The poll shows a slight increase for Biden. In February, Trump held a one-point lead over Biden in the state of Texas.
- The poll of 1,183 registered voters was conducted April 18-27 with a margin of error of +/- 2.85 percentage points.
- A Democrat has not won the Texas presidential race since 1976 when Jimmy Carter defeated Gerald Ford.
- Democratic strategist Matt Angle said, “Trump is taking on water in Texas. People are tired of his act, they view him as dangerous and they are starting to see his incompetence and lack of empathy.”
- Republican consultant Chris Homan said that Trump would win Texas, and that the coronavirus pandemic has obscured the nuts and bolts of the race. “When people start to pay closer attention to the horse race, Biden will be in trouble in Texas.“