Skip to content
- The chamber will operate remotely for the first time in 230 years.
- The plan will allow for absent members to cast votes by proxy on the House floor and for committees to allow members and witnesses to join from home.
- Other countries such as Canada, Brazil, and the European Union have enacted similar procedures.
- The British House of Commons broke 700 years of history last month by convening parliament with Zoom.
- Republicans protested the rules change as a partisan power grab that will upend institutional tradition.
- The vote passed 217-189.