- Reuters broke the story after people familiar with the paper relayed details from the report.
- The report was presented to top Beijing leaders in early April by the Ministry of State Security.
- The report said global anti-China sentiment is at its highest level since the 1989 Tiananmen Square incident.
- The report warned that China needs to be prepared for a worst-case scenario for armed confrontation between the two global powers.
- The report was drawn up by the China Institutes of Contemporary International Relations (CICIR), a think tank affiliated with the Ministry of State Security, China’s top intelligence body.
- “Reuters couldn’t determine to what extent the stark assessment described in the paper reflects positions held by China’s state leaders, and to what extent, if at all, it would influence policy.”