- According to the New York Times, the analysis was prepared by several Trump administration departments. CNN says the report’s authenticity was confirmed by an administration official. The report was dated 5/2/2020 and titled “Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Situation Update”.
- The report also estimates daily new COVID-19 cases will reach about 200,000 each day by the end of May.
- The White House denied the report. “This is not a White House document nor has it been presented to the Coronavirus Task Force or gone through interagency vetting. The President’s phased guidelines to open up America again are a scientific driven approach that the top health and infectious disease experts in the federal government agreed with. The health of the American people remains President Trump’s top priority and that will continue as we monitor the efforts by states to ease restrictions.”
- President Trump had already publicly increased the estimate of total deaths during a Fox New interview on Sunday when he said the U.S. death toll from the pandemic could reach 100,000 by August. Newly released estimates from the Institute of Health Metrics and Evaluation put the total dead at nearly 135,000. The previous estimate was 65,000 total deaths.
- The increased numbers are due to “rising mobility and the easing of social distancing measures”.