- The paper, which has not been peer-reviewed, was published in the Lancet Infectious Diseases and funded by the UK Medical Research Council
- Researchers analyzed data from 3,665 covid-19 cases in mainland China.
- Researchers said the overall death rate from covid-19 is estimated at 0.66%, rising sharply to 7.8% in people aged over 80 and declining to 0.0016% in children aged 9 and under.
- The estimates, calculated by researchers in the UK, used aggregate data on cases and deaths in mainland China.
- Unlike other estimates, they adjusted for undiagnosed cases and the number of people in each age group of a population.
- The average time between a person displaying symptoms and dying was 17.8 days.
- Recovering from the disease was estimated to take slightly longer, with patients being discharged from hospital after an average of 22.6 days.
- It reported that 0.04% of 10-19 year olds would probably require hospital care—as would 1.0% of people in their 20s, 3.4% of people aged 30-39, 4.3% aged 40-49, 8.2% aged 50-59, 11.8% in their 60s, 16.6% in their 70s, and 18.4% of those over 80.