- Astronomers have complained that SpaceX Starlink satellites (VisorSat) are bright enough to interfere with observations.
- SpaceX plans to launch a Starlink satellite in May with a sunshade to make it less visible from Earth and mitigate interruptions to astronomical observations.
- It’s made of a special dark foam that’s extremely radio transparent, so as not to affect the phased array antennas.
- SpaceX has 420 Starlink communications satellites in orbit, which is the largest constellation in history.
- SpaceX intends to, over time, launch a megaconstellation of at least 12,000 Starlink satellites into low Earth orbit to provide better, worldwide internet access.