- Texas reported 1,801 new Covid-19 cases on Saturday.
- More than 700 new cases were reported in Amarillo.
- Before Saturday, Texas had not seen a day with more than 1,500 new cases.
- Immediately after the numbers were announced, Gov. Greg Abbott said, “That is exactly why I established Surge Response Teams. By immediately deploying resources and supplies to these high risk areas, we will identify the positive cases, isolate the individuals and ensure any outbreak is quickly contained.”
- On May 1, Texas allowed restaurants, malls, movie theaters and retail stores to open up at 25 percent capacity with social distancing guidelines in place. Hair salons and barbershops opened on May 8. Businesses may be allowed to go to 50% capacity on Monday.
- Overall, Texas has reported 1,305 deaths.