Skip to content
- The UK is already testing a custom-built tracing app on the Isle of Wight.
- According to two sources familiar with the project, the app is seeing technical difficulties including iPhone compatibility and battery drain.
- The app runs in the background. Apps running in the background do not have access to Bluetooth functionality which is needed to ping other phones during the tracking process.
- UK is reportedly making a second app that uses the new Apple and Google contact-tracing API.
- The Apple/Google contact-tracing system is unique in that it is decentralized – all data processing take place on the user’s handset and thus, is safer and more private.
- It is rumored France also ran into problems developing its own app without use of the Apple and Google API.