- Organizations who agreed to contribute to the fund include the European Union and non-EU countries Britain, Norway and Saudi Arabia. Leaders from Japan, Canada, South Africa and dozens of other countries.
- The pledge also included private donors such as Madonna and Bill Gates.
- EU diplomats said the United States, which has the world’s most confirmed COVID-19 cases, was not taking part.
- A senior U.S. administration official declined to say specifically why the United States was not participating.
- Norwegian Prime Minister Erna Solberg said, “It is a pity the U.S. is not a part of it. When you are in a crisis, you manage it and you do it jointly with others”.